Cottage pie is one of my favourite family friendly recipes when there’s a toddler in the house. You can pack it full of sneaky veggies & add lots of different flavours to diversify their tastes. And on top of all that, it’s so easy!
I actually prefer the taste of the sweet potato over the more traditional potato top. It packs in so much more flavour and is that little bit healthier.
600g mince (beef, chicken, pork, turkey…any will work)
2-3 large sweet potatoes, peeled & chopped
2-3 tbs tomato paste
Can of tinned tomatoes
4-5 tsp cummin
2 tsp cinnamon
Chilli powder, salt, pepper & mixed herbs to taste
2 garlic cloves, crushed
Parmesan cheese, grated
1/2 cup milk
2 tbs butter/margarine
1/4 cup pine nuts
1. Steam sweet potato & other veggies til soft
2. Brown onion & mince in large saucepan
3. Add garlic, tomato paste, tinned tomatoes & spices to mince
4. Add steamed veggies to mince.
5. Add steamed potatoes to large bowl with milk, Parmesan & butter. Mash.
6. Add mince mix to casserole/deep baking dish. Add potato mix on top.
7. Season too with salt & pepper. Add to moderate oven for 10 minutes or until top starts to brown/crisp slightly.
I like to add grated cheese on top before putting in oven. I love the extra cheese taste. Not essential though.
Another alternative would be using cauliflower mash maybe. Not something I’ve tried yet but it ends up with a similar consistency to mash potato & would be an even leaner option. Let me know if you have or do try it.
When I do these recipe posts, I am going by memory and rough estimates of quantities so if something sounds off, please let me know as I may have forgotten a vital ingredient or step. I’m just a mum who likes to dabble in the kitchen, always now on the lookout for recipes to keep my little miss happy and healthy. Although I also have a mega sweet tooth 😉