As the parent of a one year old & someone who is always on the lookout for simple meal ideas, I don’t mind a bit of experimenting in the kitchen.
This particular meal was motivated by an attempt to use up a few fresh ingredients before we head away for a family holiday this weekend. The key ingredients I wanted to avoid becoming a mouldy mess in our absence were half a cauliflower & a punnet of cherry tomatoes. Both part of my plan to cook with more natural ingredients.
The end result was good, but will benefit from a little tweaking next time. The main thing though was my daughter loved it.
Half a head of cauliflower
Approximately 2 cups of grated cheese (cheddar, mozzarella etc)
Half a cup of bacon bits
Half a cup of bread crumbs
Pine nuts (optional)
Salt, pepper, garlic, etc (any seasoning of your preference)
1. Pre-heat oven at 180 degrees Celsius.
2. Steam cauliflower until soft
3. Spray baking dish with cooking oil & add tomatoes
4. Add cauliflower once soft, half of the cheese, & other ingredients/seasoning.
5. Mix everything together (you may even wish to do this in a large bowl before adding to dish).
6. Sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top & season again if you wish.
7. Bake in oven for approximately 15-20 minutes, or until cheese starts to brown.
When I made mine I added all my cheese on top, so mixing it through will be much better for next time. You could also add any other ingredients you like. I was thinking olives would be nice, maybe some other types of veggies. Whatever you have on hand. Same with the meat. I happened to have frozen bacon bits available.
The best part of this recipe is that there are no carbs & while it ain’t the healthiest meal idea, it’s a lot better for you than an equivalent potato bake. Perfect comfort food without expanding the waste line.
Give it a go & let me know what you think.