I am neither Italian or have a clue what I am doing with filo pastry. This is my first time cooking with filo pastry in fact. Although I have been to Italy at least…
Grocery shopping the other day resulted in a lot of chicken. Bulk chicken breasts in fact as they were half price. $8.99 AU for 1.4KG. WHAT??? So I got 2.8kg worth. That’s a fair bit of chicken so I wanted to experiment with some new recipes. Usually that meant heading to Pinterest for some inspiration and yes that did happen. I had planned to make chicken filos… just plain and simple. But I had no feta so it wouldn’t be quite the same.
Somehow I ended up making a pie without any recipe for guidance. A brave move as I have also never made a pie.
But it was pretty darn tasty, even if I do say so myself. Here is how you can re-create my experiment gone right!
- 2 chicken breasts or 500g diced chicken
- 3-4 rashers of bacon, diced
- Spinach – I actually cheated and used frozen spinach, 2 cubes worth but a handful of chopped leaves would be nicer
- 2-3 tablespoons of pine nuts
- Mixed herbs, salt & pepper to season
- 1/4 cup of grated cheese
- Filo pastry
- 1/4 onion
- Tin of diced tomatoes
- 1-2 cloves of crushed garlic
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- Melted butter to coat top of pie
- Oil for frying pan
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Pre-heat frying pan with oil.
- Dice up chicken, bacon & onion and cook in frying pan
- Once browned or sealed, add in spinach, pine nuts, seasoning, garlic, tomato paste and tinned tomatoes.
- Simmer for approximately 10 minutes.
- Grease pie dish (I used a slice pan) and create pie base with several layers of filo pastry.
- Add pie mixture to dish. Using several more layers, create pie crust.
- Coat pie with melted button and place in oven until filo pastry becomes crispy and golden.
There you have it. A spur of the moment pie recipe perfect for the cold winter nights. The filo pastry is also a healthier alternative to puff pastry typically used for pies.
Don’t forget to follow me on Pinterest if you want more recipe inspiration from my 3 recipe boards, including my own marvellous creations!