That dreaded moment came when I realised I had no chocolate in the house…well, almost no chocolate. There were chocolate chips in the cooking supplies. Oh dear, time for desperate measures.
When I get a massive sweet tooth craving and have no chocolates otherwise in the house, its time to turn to the amazing mug cake or cookie recipes on Pinterest. My favourite has always been the chocolate chip cookie in a cup recipe from No.2 Pencil, which was partly my inspiration for this recipe experiment.
I went to make my go to mug cookie, but oh no… not only were we out of chocolate, but apparently butter too. Yet, hubby had decided Nutella was a necessity at the most recent grocery shop instead. Okay, that works. I’m sure I’ve seen recipes that substitute butter for Nutella. Here’s the recipe:
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon Nutella
- 2 tablespoons (or more) of choc-chips
- 1/4 cup plain flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- Optional – tablespoon or two of sugar
- Whisk egg with a fork in a microwave safe mug or bowl.
- Add in other ingredients and mix well.
- Microwave for 1 minute
- Add a dollop of ice cream for extra indulgence, put your feet up, grab the TV remote or a good book, and make the most of this moment! You deserve it 😉
Unlike the No.2 Pencil recipe, I am lazy and throw in a whole egg rather than separating my whites and all that fuss. So rather than a cookie, it’s more of a cake. You could separate your egg if you like, but seriously it’s good just as it is. The ice cream is perfect, melting into the moist mug cake and it has just the right amount of subtle Nutella hazelnut flavour mixed in with an abundance of chocolate chips.
My chocolate craving was cured… for today!